Being the budget-savvy DIY bride that I am, I wanted to create unique and inexpensive wine bottles for our reception. To create the look I wanted, I ordered a set of pre-printed labels from Studio B Labels and removed the existing labels from wine bottles.
Applying labels to bottles can be super easy but it can also be difficult depending on the symmetry and quality of the wine bottle. Studio B recommended Barefoot wine, as the bottles tend to be the most symmetrical.
How To Remove Old Labels
- Sponge out the inside of your sink to remove any grime. Fill the sink with warm to hot water.
2. Pour two cups of baking soda into sink (don’t worry, you can’t overdo it). Agitate the water with your hand or utensil. The baking soda will not dissolve; however, you will want it to be evenly dispersed throughout sink.
3. Place 3-4 of the bottles inside the sink and set a timer for 30 minutes. Note: Some directions for labels recommend a longer soaking time. However, in my experience 30 minutes was adequate for proper removal.
4. From the corner of the labels, slowly peel off each label. Residue may be left on the bottle, but it can easily be removed with a sponge or towel.
Please Note: For the purposes of the demo, I used a St. Gabriel wine bottle.
How To Apply New Labels
1. Once the bottles have been freshly washed and cleaned, sit on a chair, with both feet on the floor and legs together. Place the bottle on your lap, cradled between your thighs.
2. Using both hands, determine where you wish the label to be placed. Place the center of the label first. Once the label is is applied in the center, smooth to one side.
3. Pull the other side of the label tight and smooth from middle out.
If you are not interested in applying a new label, here are a few other fun DIY projects for your newly cleaned wine bottles.
A Festive Light Display
Directions can be found at Instructables.com.
A Wine Bottle Bird Feeder
Directions can be found at Down Home Inspiration.
A Wine Bottle Tiki Torch
Directions can be found at Apartment Therapy.
A Wine Bottle Dish Soap Dispenser
Directions can be found at Living Well.
With all of the amazing things that can be done with a wine bottle, it is a miracle I haven’t been drinking more of it! I guess it’s just one more excuse to end my day with a nice glass of wine.